Who doesn’t love a good State Fair! Funny story when Kevin and I met and were dating I found out that he (who was born and raised in the metroplex) had NEVER been to the state fair??? and me (who moved here in 1996) had been at least 2 or 3 times!! I couldn’t believe that he had NEVER been?? Well, come to find out…that isn’t too uncommon, some of my friends recently have told me they have never been either. It is so much fun…the food (my favorite), the rides (mainly the ferris wheel), the shows (lots of fun music for the hubby) and of course all the booths with random items that you just have to have! The ONLY draw back…it is pretty pricey! So today I received an email from Frugal in Fort Worth (one of my favorite Frugal blogs) with all the discounts available – I thought I would share it with you!
Texas State Fair Events Begin This Friday
(Runs September 28-October 21, 2012)
This year’s line up of events is as extensive as ever. Free Concerts (with admission) include: Kevin Fowler, Kevin Costner & Modern West, Kellie Pickler, Kansas, The Commodores, and more great bands. There is so much to see and do. Check out the line up of concerts here, the list of celebrity chef demonstrations here, and the full schedule of events here.
Lots of Ways to Save on Tickets
General admission fair tickets are normally $16/person. Plan ahead, and you can enjoy your day at a deep discount (or even attend for FREE) with one of the many ways to save on your tickets. Following is a roundup of discount options:
1. Kroger Grocery Store is the official site for advanced ticket purchases. Stop by your local Kroger’s check-out counter or purchase these discount tickets at the service desk:
Advance DART/State Fair Combo Ticket: $17 (value of $26 and only available at Kroger Food Stores). This ticket gets you admission into the Fair AND a convenient round-trip ride via DART’s rail and/or buses on date of use. You’ll be delivered to the front gate of Fair Park if you take the greenline ( plus you save $15 on fair parking and gas!). Learn more here. Note, that this is not valid for service on TRE or the Fort Worth T which would need to be purchased separately (TRE details here).
Advance General Admission: $14.50 (compared to $16 at gates). Valid for any one-day admission.
Advance Season Pass: $34.95 (Only sold at Kroger, and not sold at State Fair admission gates). This is a great deal if you are going to make multiple visits during the fair. This season pass includes: Unlimited visits for 2012, a one-day companion ticket (good Monday-Friday) and one Cinemark movie ticket.
2. Opening Day $6 Admission with a Food Donation to the North Texas Food Bank (September 28) ~ Bring a full 20 oz. bottle of Dasani water (or any Coca-Cola product) for donation to the North Texas Food Bank containers at Fair admission gates to get in for $6 per person, per donation.
3. Tuesdays, Dr Pepper Day: $5 Admission ~ On Tuesdays, bring an empty Dr Pepper can to the admission gate and enter for $5. Most rides (excluding the Thrillway and the Texas Star) are 5 coupons as well.
4. Wednesdays, Kroger Food Drive Day: 3 Cans for $2 Admission ~ When you bring 3 cans of food (per person) for area food banks, get admission for $2.
5. Thursday, October 11, Dickies Day FREE Admission ~ Anyone wearing a Dickies logo clothing item will receive a free voucher for admission to the Fair on same day.
6. Thursdays, Coke Day: $6 Admission ~ Bring an empty 20 oz. bottle of a Coca-Cola product and enter the Fair for $6 admission.
7. Thursdays, Seniors Day: FREE Admission ~ Senior Citizens 60 years and older get into the State Fair FREE each Thursday.
8. Thursdays, Cinemark: FREE Admission ~ Present a Cinemark Movie Theater ticket stub and receive a free admission (one person per ticket stub) on any Thursday.
9. Fridays, $5 OFF with KISS-FM coupon ~ Download and print a coupon from the KISS-FM website (here) to get $11 admission with the coupon. Discount is off of general admission only, when purchased at a State Fair of Texas admission gate with coupon
10. Fridays, Fort Worth Star Telegram Press Pass Savings: Buy One Get One FREE ~ Buy one general admission ticket at full price and receive a second ticket free (Must present Fort Worth Star Telegram Press Pass Card and the BOGO coupon from the newspaper at admission gates). Additionally, Press Pass Gold Members can enjoy FREE admission on Friday, October 5 for 2 people with a Fort Worth Star Telegram Press Pass Gold Card (must present Gold Press Pass Card and coupon at admission gates).
11. After 5pm any day, Dr Pepper Day: $8 Admission ~ After 5pm, admission is $8 when you bring an empty Dr Pepper can to any State Fair admission gate.
12. Any Day $3 Off, McDonald’s ~ McDonald’s offers $3 off General Admission any day of the Fair, with one of their State Fair coupons (available on the tray liner or as a bag stuffer). A half price child with purchase of general admission coupon is also distributed by McDonald’s.
Offers may not be combined together.
:: Learn more about the State Fair of Texas here.
Thanks again Frugal in Fort Worth!